PEPCO was established in 1922 as a designer and manufacturer of electrical distribution panel boards for both commercial and shipboard use. These early commercial panel boards were made of 2 inch slate panels. Some of PEPCOs early commercial customers included Yale University and many theaters in New York City.
During World War II PEPCO became a significant contributor to the US war effort by providing electrical switchboards for maritime use on many World War II cargo ships and on US submarines built at the Electric Boat Company in Groton, CT and the Portsmouth Naval Shipyard in Portsmouth, NH and.
As the US submarine force continued to develop, PEPCO electrical switchboards continued to meet the latest and most rigorous military shipboard requirements. PEPCO electrical switchboards can be found on the world's first nuclear submarine, USS Nautilus (SSN 571) and, with only a few exceptions, PEPCO equipment is on every nuclear submarine that has served the US Navy.
Over the years PEPCO has continued to focus on its core business of electrical distribution and control. As more sophisticated automated control techniques became available, PEPCO incorporated them into their new designs.
Today PEPCO continues to designs and manufactures electrical switchboards for the US Navy's most advanced submarines. In industry, PEPCO provides a wide array of electrical distribution and control solutions to meet any need. PEPCO's system solutions range from complete Gas Turbine Engine Control Systems to Retractable Train Bridge Catenary Controls, Nuclear Fuel Handling Systems, Navy Simulators, Industrial Cranes, and automated fish farms. PEPCO can meet the most rigorous customer specifications for engineering, documentation, manufacturing and testing of systems.
PEPCO has in place an extensive computer network capable of multiple functions such as CAD Drawings, Word Processing, PLC and Computer Programming, HMI development, Database Management, etc. This capability ensures that all systems are not only well engineered but also properly documented, maintained and effectively built. PEPCO’S 17,000 sq. ft. facility provides ample space for the manufacturing and assembly needs of all of its customers.